- The network
- 39 Carnot
- For businesses
The Carnot label
Research and innovation for industry
Founded in 2006, the Carnot Label was designed to develop partnership-based research, meaning research conducted by public laboratories in partnership with socio-economic players, primarily industry (from SMEs to large corporations), to serve their needs.
The Carnot Label is granted to public research structures, Carnot institutes, with proven, high level R&I competencies dedicated to fostering innovation with industrial partners. They concurrently conduct upstream research capable of renewing their scientific and technological skills, and an ambitious partnership research policy to the benefit of the socio-economic world. Carnot institutes are selected through a competitive call for applications.
Partnership research is a major driver for the economy, fostering corporate innovation and then guaranteeing both competitiveness and growth.
The Carnot network: an original and effective system for industry innovation
The originality and efficiency of the Carnot system is based on 4 rules
- Ongoing basic research for future innovation needs
A detailed, yearly action plan to reach these commitments
Financial support from the French government based on measurable results
A structured network for increased efficiency and impact
Each Carnot institute commits to attaining specific progress targets.
- Ensure scientific production prepare the responses of tomorrow;
- Improve professionalism (awareness-raising about intellectual property, better project management structuring, internal organisation, etc.);
- Develop socio-economic partnerships;
- Foster network-based functioning of the Carnot institutes.
In 2020, 62 M€ were dedicated to the Carnot system
- The Ministry for Higher Education and Research steers the Carnot System.
- The ANR is in charge of managing the system (managing financial support and monitoring the structure).
- The Carnot institutes are united under the ”Association des instituts Carnot”, which is in charge of leading the network.